Marine 3 Tiverton Town 3

Southern League Premier South | Saturday 18th March 2023

Back to blog posts

Marine 3 Tiverton Town 3

Posted by Keith Yeomans

Match Report from Aleck Everard


Swindon Supermarine were back in action at home again on Saturday as they took on midtable Tiverton Town at the Webbswood Stadium. Manager Lee Spalding opted for an unchanged starting eleven from the midweek win against Gosport but had Ty Duffus back after injury on the bench and he was joined by new loan signing Zac Guinan from Cheltenham Town.

Tivvy started the match very well and raced into a two-goal lead inside the first ten minutes. Tom Purrington bundled home the first on eight minutes from close range after keeper Josh Gould could only parry a cross away, and then Nelson Iseguan held off Mat Liddiard to fire into the bottom corner for 2-0 two minutes later.

But Marine are never ones to give up and after slowly recovering from the shock of going behind early, they pulled one back from a Henry Spalding cross which James Harding headed past Lewis Williams in the Tiverton goal twenty-three minutes.

Ryan Campbell then flashed an effort over the top as Marine started to dictate the play. Another great ball in, this time from Sam Turl was just missed by Harding and on the next attack Zack Kotwica’s attempt at a clever flick went just flew wide.

But Supermarine were not to be denied during this excellent spell and James Harding struck again. Zack Kotwica played in a super through ball and Harding held off his marker had time to pick his spot for his seventeenth goal of a productive season, with nine goals in seven games since top scorer Harry Williams was injured.

Marine stayed on top and should have gone in front when the ball fell to Joe Tumelty in front of goal on thirty-three minutes but his effort came off Williams and struck another player on the goal line and was cleared. Jamie Edge then went into the referee’s book for a challenge before Tiverton goalscorer Iseguan departed with injury with Dylan Jones coming on. An up and down half but Supermarine showing that spirit to pull back and dominate.

The second half was more even with defences on top for the most part. A half time change saw Tyrone Duffus enter the fray in place of Malik Sesay. It was Tiverton who looked the brighter at the start of the half with Niall Thompson causing problem and having an powerful shot pushed over the bar by Josh Gould on fifty-three minutes.

Cheltenham Town loanee Zac Guinan came on for debut on the hour replacing fellow loanee from Swindon Town George Cowmeadow. Tiverton’s Dylan Jones then became the second player in the book for a foul on Sam Turl before Marine had a chance to get in front again when from a set piece. The free kick dropped into the box to Jamie Edge but his strike was just cleared off the line before going in at the far post.

Marine had a succession of corners that were well defended by Tiverton before they broke away on the break and Sam Turl was harshly adjudged to had fouled his man on the edge of the box despite appearing to win the ball and to receive a booking in the process.

Marine suffered the worse punishment when the free kick was smashed home into the bottom corner of the net by Niall Thompson with a powerful swerving strike to give Tiverton the lead once more. But the goal of the game was yet to come. Marine responded superbly and a cross from Spalding was cleared away to Zack Kotwica, who was some 25-yards from goal. He hit a curled effort which belted into the net off the crossbar for 3-3 scoreline! That was Zack 12th goal of the season and earnt him man of the match honours from the fans after the game.

Marine will feel they could have nicked it with a couple of chances late on, firstly when James Harding broke through and appeared to have his shirt pulled in the area. Nothing was given and his shot was again cleared off the line by a defender. Then in dying seconds a superb run and cross by Kotwica was just missed by Tyrone Duffus with the goal at his mercy.

Overall It was probably the right result in a hard competitive but very fairly fought game. With Poole Town and Chesham United also drawing it meant Marine stayed in touch at the top half of the table for a playoff spot and the push continues with a London double header next week. First up is the Metropolitan Police on Tuesday and then Hanwell Town on Saturday.

Attendance: 332

Line Ups

Swindon SupermarineClub badge
Manager: Lee Spalding
Colours: Blue & White Hoops / Blue / Blue
Line-up: 1. Josh Gould 2. Sam Turl 3. Ryan Campbell 4. Jamie Edge (14. Brad Hooper 76’) 5. Malik Sesay (17. Tyrone Duffus 46’) 6. Mat Liddiard (c) 7. Henry Spalding 8. Joe Tumelty 9. Zack Kotwica 10. James Harding 11. George Cowmeadow (16. Zac Guinan 54’)
Subs not used: 12. Conor McDonagh 64’, 14. Brad Hooper, 15. George Dowling 89’
Goalscorers: soccer soccer James Harding 23’, 29’, soccer Zack Kotwica 83’,
Editors Star Man: James Harding
Jamie Edge 35’, Sam Turl 80’ Yellow Card
None Red Card
None Yellow & Red Card

Tiverton TownClub badge
Managers: Scott Rogers & Martyn Rogers
Colours: All Yellow
Line-up: 1. Lewis Williams 2. Joe Belsten 3. Craig Woodman 4. Matt Britton (c) 5. Ed James 6. Josh Jones 7. Pedro Borges (15. Charlie Bateson 88’) 8. Tom Purrington 9. Lucas Vowles (14. Carlo Garside 78’) 10. Niall Thompson 11. Chukwuka Iseguan (12. Dylan Jones 39’)
Goalscorers: soccer Tom Purrington 8’, soccer Chukwuka Iseguan 10’, soccer Nial Thompson 80’
Subs Not Used: 13. Oliver Saunders (GK), 16. Scott Rogers
Editors Star Man: Nial Thompson
Chukwuka Iseguan 30’, Dylan Jones 64’, Matt Britton 80’ Yellow Card
None Red Card
None Yellow & Red Card

Supermarine TV

Match Highlights
Courtesy of Mike Wray

Match Album

Match Photo’s
Courtesy of Rob Mashford Photography

Match Album

Match Photo’s
Courtesy of Alex White Photography

Post Match Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Match Officials

Referee: Charlie Bullock (Hungerford)
Assistant Referees: Chris Binney (Wiltshire), Matt Childs (Aldershot)

Keith Yeomans
Keith Yeomans