Marine 2 Beaconsfield Town 2

Southern League Premier South | Saturday 19th March 2022

Back to blog posts

Marine 2 Beaconsfield Town 2

Posted by Keith Yeomans

Match Report from Aleck Everard


Marine were back in action again on Saturday as they took on the Rams from Beaconsfield Town. With illness in the camp during the week Manager Lee Spalding brought back George Dowling into the midfield and midweek goalscorer from the bench Harry Williams back into the side. Conor McDonagh out with illness and Kieran Phillips who came off midweek feeling unwell only fit for the bench. He was joined by the now fit Tyrone Duffus who had missed the last four weeks with Matt Britton returning also to the substitutes bench.

Jamie Edge makes an early challenge on Aaron Minhas Jamie Edge makes an early challenge on Aaron Minhas
Photos © Motion Sport Photography / Match Album

Both starts started in a lively fashion but it was Marine who settled first and the first real chance came to Henry Spalding who hit a shot inches wide with a well timed volley. Visiting keeper Ryan Hall was being kept busy by the Marine frontline. On eleven minutes he pulled off a fine double save, first from Harry Williams after a fine run and then from George Dowling on the follow up. Beaconsfield’s Nathan Minhas went down in the box soon after looking for a spot kick but the official was not to be fooled.

Harry Williams scores Marine first goal Harry Williams scores Marine first goal
Photos © Motion Sport Photography / Match Album

Henry Spalding who was looking lively broke clear again on twenty minutes but just got the final pass to Ryan Campbell wrong having done all the hard work. Marine had settled into a neat passing possession game and started to dominate against their more physical opponents. Lewis Hall denied Williams again after a good 1-2 with George Dowling. Finally the back line was unlocked on the half hour. HARRY WILLIAMS broke through from Ryan Campbell’s neat pass and drilled it low into the bottom corner for his 15th goal of the season, a great return considering his poor form at the start of the season and a loan spell away. The visitors complained that Luke Neville had been fouled in the build up but once again the officials were unmoved deeming correctly that the defender had injured himself with a badly timed header on a Marine player.

Harry Williams celebrates his goal Harry Williams celebrates his goal
Photos © Motion Sport Photography / Match Album

Beaconsfield winger Kaine Kennedy-Sinclair provided some response soon after with a strong shot pushed away by Martin Horsell but it was brief respite. A lovely ball forward by George Dowling was firstly reached outside the box by keeper Ryan Hall but as he tried to clear the ball it was blocked by HENRY SPALDING as he reacted well to rob him and slide his effort just inside the post for 2-0 just before half time. Spalding then had one last shot before the whistle but Marine were well deserving of their lead at the break having dominated the first half.

Beaconsfield keeper Ryan Hall loses out to Henry Spalding who scores Marine’s second

enter image description here

enter image description here Beaconsfield keeper Ryan Hall loses out to Henry Spalding who scores Marine’s second goal
Photos © Motion Sport Photography / Match Album

The visitors replaced centre back Liam McDevitt with Jordan Ajanlekoko at the interval and Marine also made a change as Zack Kotwica replaced goalscorer Henry Spalding, another of the Marine players suffering from a heavy cold that was effecting his breathing. The home fans were basking in the spring sunshine but what they saw in the second half would not have pleased them as much as the first half. Marine adopted a more subdued approach trying to protect but equally pushed back by a determined Beaconsfield side. The Rams were determined to impose their more physical game to get back into the match although. George Dowling was booked early on in the half, having kicked the ball away but was already in the act of kicking the ball before the whistle went?

Nathan Minhas 60th minute goal Nathan Minhas’s first goal
Photos © Motion Sport Photography / Match Album

On the hour a Beaconsfield free kick on the edge of the box was swung in by Scott Donnelly which created chaos in the Marine box and the fastest to react was striker and leading goalscorer NATHAN MINHAS who fired in from close range to get the Rams back in the game. The visitors were now the dominant side and Marine were having to defend deep but were doing their job well with skipper Mat Liddiard in particular leading the way. Pierce Mitchell was another player booked for kicking the ball away with twenty minutes left on the clock. An excellent run by winger Josh Fawole had everything but the finish which to the relief of the Marine players went flying over the top of the goal.

Nathan Minhas scores a late equaliser Nathan Minhas scores a late equaliser for Beaconsfield
Photos © Motion Sport Photography / Match Album

Marine looked to solidify more with both Brad Hooper and Matt Britton coming on for George Dowling and Tom Mehew in a matter of five minutes. As the visitors pushed on Marine had some occasional joy on the break and from one Zack Kotwica was cynically pulled back by sub Jordan Ajanlekoko who earnt a booking for his trouble and may consider himself lucky it wasn’t deemed a more harsh punishment. The game was now really quite feisty as the seconds ticked down to the final whistle and just went it looked as if Marine had done enough the clever Scott Donnelly picked out NATHAN MINHAS just inside in the box and with Pierce Mitchell up tight he executed a neat turn and toe-poked the ball past Martin Horsell into the bottom corner of the goal a very disappointing end for Marine and their fans.

Zack Kotwica was clinically fouled Zack Kotwica was clinically fouled late in the game
Photos © Motion Sport Photography / Match Album

With no further chances in an extended additional period the game finished 2-2. It was your classic game of two halves and without any doubt a fair result. Total domination of each half by each side but Marine had come so close to the points and fallen at the final hurdle. The result lifted Marine back up to fifteenth in the table and the point meant we are a step closer to preserving our Premier Division spot for next season, technically eight points clear of the bottom four with six games to play.

George Dowling was voted fans player of the match George Dowling was voted fans player of the match
Photos © Motion Sport Photography / Match Album

Fans player of the match with a resounding 50% of the vote was George Dowling who had his best game in a Marine shirt and a special shout out to Henry Spalding who was probably leading the way in the first half until he had to withdraw. Next up is the Wiltshire Premier Shield Semi Final at Royal Wootton Bassett on Tuesday where we take on Westbury United of the Hellenic Premier League who currently sit second in the table.

Attendance: 248

Line Ups

Swindon SupermarineClub badge
Manager: Lee Spalding
Colours: All Blue Line-up: 1. Martin Horsell 2. Pierce Mitchell 3. Lewis Hall 4. Jamie Edge 5. Tom Sharpe 6. Mat Liddiard(c) 7. Henry Spalding (16. Zack Kotwica 46’) 8. Tom Mehew (12. Brad Hooper 80’) 9. Harry Williams 10. George Dowling (12. Matt Britton 74’) 11. Ryan Campbell
Subs not used: 14. Kieran Phillips, 15. Tyrone Duffus
Goalscorers: soccer Harry Williams 30’, soccer Henry Spalding 44’
Editors Star Man: Mat Liddiard
George Dowling 57’, Lewis Hall 69’, Pierce Mitchell 75’ Yellow Card
None Red Card
None Yellow & Red Card

Beaconsfield Town Club badge
Manager: Gary Meakin
Colours: All Red Line-up: 1. Ryan Hall 2. Callum Webb 3. Toby Little (c) (16. Mihai-Andrei Chiric 77’) 4. Luke Neville 5. Liam McDevitt (14. Jordan Ajanlekoko 46’) 6. Scott Donnelly 7. Josh Fawole (15. Matt Harriott 89’) 8. Aaron Minhas 9. Nathan Minhas 10. Ollie McCoy 11. Kaine Kennedy-Sinclair
Subs not used: 12. Jordan Aghastise 13. Michael Neish (GK)
Goalscorer: soccer soccer Nathan Minhas 60’ , 90’
Editors Star Man: Scott Donnelly
Jordan Ajanlekoko 84’ Yellow Card
None Red Card
None Yellow & Red Card

Post Match Team Sheet

Click here for post match team sheet

Match Officials

Referee: Andrew Hobbs
Assistant Referees: Dan Statham, Neil Templey

Keith Yeomans
Keith Yeomans